Think of your inner fire, or Agni in Ayurveda, as the flame within your whole being. When we pay attention to keeping the fire burning strong, our bodies are able to digest and burn fuel for our actions, are minds are able to process and create, and our inner most desires are able to guide us along our life journey.
Our Agni plays crucial role to our health and well-being, how do we keep our inner fire burning brightly? The essential step is living life more consciously, making choices that nurture the flow of life energy, while minimizing those that deplete it.
1. Unconditional Encouragement. A simple way to make more healing choices is to ask yourself whether you would encourage someone you love unconditionally to have whatever experience you are considering. Follow the example of a conscious, loving mother who only wants her child to eat nourishing food, engage in loving relationships, and avoid situations that create unnecessary distress. In my own experience, this relationship with my first child was the one that turned the wheel of conscious behavior, and experiences have been evolving ever since!
2. Unclutter Your Life. Your inner fire is weakened by having too much “stuff” in your life ― too much debt, too many commitments, too many complicated, demanding relationships, and too much clutter.
Consciously survey your life and ask yourself, What am I carrying with me from the past that is no longer serving me in the present, and what would I like to bring into my life that I have previously neglected? Simple "Clean Out" actions can be very nourishing and many often gain from this exercise.
3. Rest, Exercise, and Meditate. We all know we should exercise and the benefits, we are so much more balanced when our bodies experience motion...Balance your activity with rest by having a regular meditation practice and getting replenishing sleep each night. Learn a healthy sleep routine here.
4. Practice conscious eating. Your digestion is affected by the conversations at the
table, your environment, and your mood when you eat. If you’re watching a violent TV show, your stomach will knot and your digestion will be disturbed. To extract the most nourishment from your food, never eat when you feel upset. Create a settled, peaceful atmosphere for your meals, eat only when you’re hungry, and choose fresh, organic food whenever possible.
5. Get regular detoxification treatments. No matter how consciously we live, modern life exposes us to a variety of toxins that deplete our digestive power – from pollutants in our food, water, and air, to the more subtle toxicity of negative media and the hyper-stimulus of cell phones, iphones, and the Internet. To keep agni’s metabolic power strong, it’s important to get regular detoxification treatments. Consider a monthly cleanse that releases toxins from deep within the bodily tissues, clearing away physical and emotional residue and leaving you feeling
renewed and rejuvenated.